Night of Museums
Event 20 May 2017 – 8:30pm
On the occasion of the 2017 edition of the "European Night of Museums", the Fondation Louis Vuitton will open its doors free of charge to the public on Saturday 20 May, from 7 pm to 1 am!
Discover two free exhibitions, "Art/Afrique, le nouvel atelier", accompanied by a special selection of works from the Fondation’s collection.
- Les Initiés brings together works from 15 emblematic artists featured in Jean Pigozzi’s collection of contemporary African art, presented in Paris for the first time. The collection was put together with determination and commitment and reflects, in its diversity, the choices of an important figure on the contemporary art scene in Sub-Saharan Africa from 1989 to 2009.
- The group exhibition Être là is dedicated to South Africa, one of the most dynamic scenes on the African continent today, and examines the complex post-apartheid period.
- The new hanging of the Collection celebrates works by African artists and themes that relate to this continent. Today, Africa, its artists and culture have a major influence on the international arts landscape. The Fondation Louis Vuitton has always included African art in its collection, and values openness to all artistic scenes.
There will be a special concert by Africa Express in the Auditorium at 10.00 p.m.
The musicians’ collective will play In C Mali, a reinterpretation of the piece that founded the repetitive minimalist music movement, In C, created by Terry Riley in 1964. The piece will be performed by 18 African and Western musicians playing on African instruments, with special appearances by Cheick Diallo (flute), Hawa Kasse Mady from Trio Da Kali (vocals) and the guitarists Romeo Stodart (The Magic Numbers) and Bryce Dessner (The National). The conductor will be André de Ridder.
A free shuttle service will be available to visitors. It will run from 7.00 p.m to 1.00 a.m, departing from Place Charles de Gaulle. For more information, click here.
- 7 p.m. - 1 a.m. (last admissions at midnight)
- Exhibition "Art/Afrique, le nouvel atelier"
- 10 p.m. - 11 p.m.
- Public Rehearsel : "Africa Express Presents...Terry Riley's In C Mali"